Model Commissioning Plans & Guide Specifications
A complete toolkit of materials to incorporate building commissioning into your project.
- Obtain an expert commissioning provider through the comprehensive commissioning services solicitation, appropriate for negotiated or fixed fee contracts.
- Minimize system deficiencies by using the design phase commissioning requirements.
- Experience successful QA during construction by incorporating the detailed enforceable specifications.
- Enjoy a smooth building turnover by using the systematic commissioning procedures.
- Start today using the fully editable electronic format document.
The Model Commissioning Plan and Guide Specifications details the commissioning process for new equipment during both the design and construction phases for larger projects. Going beyond commissioning guidelines, the document provides boilerplate language, content, format and forms for specifying and executing commissioning. The document generally builds upon The HVAC Commissioning Process, ASHRAE Guideline 1, 1996, with significant additional detail, clarification and interpretation added. The document contains four parts, totaling over 500 pages:
- Part I. Commissioning Requirements — Design Phase
Commissioning requirements of the design team, including a full solicitation for commissioning services using either a negotiated or fixed-fee basis.
- Part II. Model Commissioning Plan — Design Phase
Detailed commissioning boilerplate plan for commissioning during design, including design intent and basis of design format for 15 system types.
- Part III. Commissioning Guide Specifications
Comprehensive guide specifications by specification section, covering protocols, procedures, and responsibilities of all parties. Includes complete specification language for Divisions 1, 15, 16 and 17. This part includes testing requirements for 15 system types. Also included are detailed prefunctional checklists for 20 types of equipment and example functional test procedures for 30 system types.
- Part IV. Model Commissioning Plan — Construction Phase
Modular boilerplate commissioning plan with 30 representative forms to facilitate the commissioning process.
Provides owners with a commissioning process they can direct their design and construction teams to incorporate. The document also provides a full commissioning services solicitation for use with negotiated or fixed-fee contract arrangements.
Architects and engineers can use the document to guide them through the commissioning process during both design and construction, including the development of commissioning specifications. Boilerplate language has been provided electronically to ease the customizing process.
Commissioning providers can use the design and construction phase boilerplate commissioning plans for developing site-specific plans. The guide commissioning specifications will assist the commissioning provider in developing site-specific specifications. Construction-phase commissioning forms have been provided, as well as prefunctional and example functional tests.
Building construction and project managers can use the document to learn how the process is structured, the typical documentation required and the management protocols that may be used.
All EXE files are self-extracting archives that contain Word 6.0 documents and/or Excel 5.0 worksheets created under Windows. Other files are as noted.
Note: Files are dated and must be converted for viewing. Download files, double click on desired document, and select a program (recommended: Microsoft® Word) to open/read.
- Instructions for extracting downloaded files (5k, text file)
- Model Commissioning Plan and Guide Specification (660 KB, v 2.05, )
- Sample functional tests and checklists (800 KB, v 2.05, )
- Revision history (24 KB, Word 6.0 document)
- All Files (1386 KB, compressed archive)
Versions 1.0 through 2.04 sponsored by:
US Department of Energy
Seattle Regional Support Office
800 5th Ave, Suite 3950
Seattle, WA 98104
Version 2.05 modifications sponsored by:
Oregon Office of Energy
625 Marion Street NE
Salem, OR 97310
100 SW Main St, Suite 1500
Portland, OR 97204
Version 2.04 was distributed by PECI in 1997 and by USDOE in 1998, with USDOE referenced in the footer of each file. Since that version, changes and additions have been made by PECI without review by USDOE. Subsequently in Version 2.05 the reference to USDOE has been removed from the footers. Individual files may have been updated without changing the overall version number. An up-to-date history of changes is found in the file history.doc.